Dona Paula is a standout amongst the most wonderful beaches in Goa and has a very romantic story attached to it. The Dona Paula beach is named after Dona Paula de Menzes, girl of an emissary, who threw herself off the cliff, when rejected authorization to wed a local fisherman, Gaspar Dias. With the romance and myth joined to it—supernaturally inhabited by Dona Paula de Menzes—vacationers throng the Dona Paula Beach looking for the perished darling, as well as to enjoy water wears on the clear waters. The Dona Paula Beach offers a chance to the sightseers to have a sunbath and purchase cheap seaside products from neighborhood sellers.
Bollywood and Dona Paula Beach: This beach has additionally been the area for some Indian films, the most acclaimed being Ek Duje Ke Liye. Given this double fascination, Dona Paula Beach has turned into a prominent visitor spot.
Tourist Attractions – Places to See in Dona Paula Beach
- National Oceanography Institute: Set up in the 1960s, the National Oceanography Institute dives upon sea life science, as well as fuses very nearly all the real extensions of beachfront and marine oceanography.
- Cabo Raj Niwas: The Cabo Raj Niwas (the Governor’s House) is half a kilometer away from the National Oceanography Institute. It houses the tomb of Dona Paula de Menzes in the Cabo Chapel. The Raj Bhawan offers an excellent view of the nearby coastline and the Aguada Fort.
Dona Paula Beach Excursions
- Reis Magos Church: Approximately 10 km from the beach is one of the oldest churches built in Goa
- Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary: The Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary is situated on the western tip of the island of Choro, along the Mandovi River, about 9 km from Dona Paula Beach.
- Miramar beach: located 4 km north of Dona Paula
- Vainguinim Beach: which is situated 1 km west
Dona Paula Beach Fairs and Festivals: The celebrations of Janamashtami and the Feast of St. Lawrence are specific to the Dona Paula Beach. Furthermore, the beach additionally has a beautiful water sports festival in November. The highlights of this celebration are the water bike and cycle races and surfing competitions.
Shopping in Dona Paula Beach: There are several shops along the beach side, which sell variety of merchandise going from eatables to apparel.Fishermen-turned-nearby sellers likewise offer straw caps, lace handkerchiefs, and spices in these shops. Feni and port wine—the two Goan liquor specialties—are a must buy and local liquor is easily available. Indian handicrafts and jewelry are available at the Indian Arts Emporium in Dona Paula.
Things to do at Dona Paula Beach
- Water Sports
- Cycle and motorboat rides
- Toboggan ski-biscuit
- Sports fishing
- Harpoon fishing
- Kayaking and yachting
Location of Dona Paula Beach
Dona Paula beach is located 7 Kms west Panaji (also known as panjim), nestled on the southern side of the rocky hammer-shaped headlands that divide the Zuari and Mandovi estuaries. Providing a good view of the Mormugao harbor, this beach is fringed by palm trees and casuarina groves. The proximity of the beach to the capital city makes it a popular tourist sight.
How to Reach Dona Paula Beach
By Air: Dabolim airport is the nearest airport which is 29 km away from Panaji and 36 km from Anjuna.
By Rail: Goa is connected with Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Mangalore, and Thiruvananthapuram by train. The nearest railway station is at Karmali, which is 15 km from the beach.
By Road: The Dona Paula Beach is well connected by road. 7 kms from the capital city, regular bus and taxi services are easily available. The Kadamba Transport Corporation (Government of Goa Undertaking), and Maharashtra and Karnataka State Road Transport Corporations operate buses from and to Goa.
Local Transport: Bus, taxi, auto-rickshaw, and motorcycle services are the available means of local conveyance in the area. A bus or motorcycle-taxi from Panjim or the ferry service from Mormugao can be availed of to reach the beach. In fact, buses to Dona Paula leave every fifteen minutes from Panjim’s Kadamba stand.An interesting mode of conveyance in Goa is the motorcycle taxi.
Accommodation in Dona Paula Beach (Hotels and Resorts)
There are a host of hotels, guesthouses, and beach side huts available at the beach that cater to the budgets of different tourists.
- Dona Paula Beach Resort
- Prainha Resort
- Hotel Viva Goa International
- Hotel Mayfair
- Casa Amarilla and Hawaii