Goa is additionally known as the "Rome of the East", because of numerous excellent beautiful churches. Generally acclaimed for its design wonders Goa houses a portion of the nation’s most historical Churches. Old Goa is the center point for chapels, just about 90% of Churches are found in North Goa.
The Churches in Old Goa are generally constructed by the Portuguese in the sixteenth century. They are mostly built of laterite stone, however basalt was utilized for pilasters and segments for enlivening purposes.
History of Goa Churches
There are various Churches in Goa constructed by the Portuguese. Numerous sublime churches were built by them in Old Goa. The Old Goa churches help to remember its previous heavenliness that once matched that of Rome.
The architecture of Goa’s churches have experienced remarkable progressions with the passage of time and the design of the period that they were implicit.
Goa Churches Architecture
The Early period (From 1510 – 1550 AD)
The style of Churches throughout this time period is termed as "Manueline" in the wake of King Emmanuel of Portugal. This style is an amalgamation of Gothic and Renaissance and is a style unconventional to Portugal of that time. The decorative themes of this style focused on Portuguese strength of seamanship and included links and stays with seashells and so forth. The most seasoned surviving Church in Goa today is the Church of Our Lady of Rosary on Monte Santo, Old Go
The Baroque period (From 1550 – 1660 AD)
Church building during this time arrived at a fever pitch with styles and plans that are completely European. The extraordinary churches of Old Goa including the Basilica of Bom Jesus and the Se Cathedral, and the Church of St Cajetan and the biggest of every one of them, the Augustine Church of Our Lady of Grace, now in remnants, fit in with this time period and style.
The Indian baroque period (From 1660 – 1760 AD)
The churches of this period speak to the neighborhood contribution to chapel constructing regarding style and design. The most imperative being the design of the external front and the roof with consideration of blossoms, tropical themes and so forth. The noticeable houses of worship of this period incorporate the Church of St Francis of Assisi at Old Goa, The Church of Holy Spirit at Margao and the Church of St Ana at Talaulim and The Church of Our Lady of Compassion at Divar.
The Rococo period (From 1760 – 1899 AD)
The churches of this period are described by their rather small size but with an accent on wonderful and lavish completing within with neighborhood themes and paintings. An alternate component the use of Stucco on the exterior facade. The style reflected to a large extent the relaxation of the religious intensity of the Portuguese.
The modern period (From 1900 onwards)
This period dates from the early nineteenth century onwards. There is a huge number of distinctive styles and represents the liberating of the unbending structure of the past. A few cases incorporate the Church of Nossa Senhora at Saligao implicit the gothic style.