Calangute is the beach to which everybody sets out toward the minute they arrive in Goa. This beach in North Goa is common that it is packed in both in top and off seasons. Calangute beach is otherwise called the Queen of Beaches in Goa and is extremely famous around sightseers. The Calangute beach is generally crowded and the little resorts flourish all hands on deck throughout the Christmas season. It is highly commercialised vacation spot many visitors from over the globe, gloating a bunch of alternatives for inns, restaurants, boutiques, spas, outings, water-games and bars to match each plan. Calangute Beach is a standout amongst the most well known beaches in Goa. Consequently, it is stuffed in both in top and off seasons.
How it was named Calangute
- A Konkani word Koli-gutti means: land of fishermen.
- The vernacular word Kalyangutti means: village of art
- And another local word Konvallo-ghott means: strong pit of the coconut tree
The town of Calangute has all essential facilities like post office, banks, foreign exchange offices, resort organizations, all sort of eateries and medicinal facilities. The number of web bistros in Calangute may completely surpass the number in the whole city of Panaji.
Tourist Attractions – Places to See in Calangute Beach
- At Calangute Beach – Fun in the sun, sand and sea along with great opportunities for feasting on fresh seafood and feni is what a day means.
- The St. Alex Church
- Kerkar Art Gallery: It is located close to the beach which exhibits paintings and sculptures of talented, upcoming Goan artists.
- Some of the popular restaurants and bars in Calangute Beach are: A REVERIE, I-95, SUBLIME (Saligao), PETES BAR, BOBS INN
Things to do at Calangute Beach
- Medicinal Springs – The narrow road leading past the Bom Viagem Convent along the cashew-covered foothills, leads to the springs at Mottant. This is an ideal spot for picnics and bathing, as the water is believed to be medicinal.
- Baga Retreat House – Overlooking the village and the Arabian Sea, at the Baga hilltop is the Baga Retreat House dedicated to St Francis Xavier. It was known as the Casa de Retiros.
- Crocodile And Dolphin Spotting Tours
- Calangute Shopping – Saturday bazaar
Location of Calangute Beach
Calangute beach is located 15 kms from Panaji. All the travel agencies and tour operators have a base here from where bookings are done for most of all the other beaches.
How to Reach Calangute Beach
- By Air: The nearest airport is at Dabolim, which is 29 km away from Panaji. Panaji is just half an hour’s drive away from Calangute.
- By Rail: The nearest railway station is at Karmali 11 km away from Panaji.
- By Road: Calangute Beach is about ten minutes from Mapusa, and thirty minutes from the state capital, Panaji. There are frequent buses to Panaji and Mapusa from Calangute. Most buses from Panaji terminate at Calangute and a few trudge further on up to Baga. Mapusa is 8 km away from Calangute.
Accommodation in Calangute Beach (Hotels and Resorts)
- Estrela do Mar Beach Resort
- GTDC Calangute Residency
- New Haven Holiday Home, Chalston Beach Resort
- Hotel Golden Nest
- Lotus Resort Goa
- Hotel Seagull
- Hotel Villa Theresa
- Ondas Do Mar Beach Resort
- Gabriels guest house
- Dona Julia Resort
- Aldeia Bello Resort
- Alor Holiday Resort
- Anup Holiday Homes
- Avantika Resort
- Casa De Goa
- Colonia De Braganza, Goan Heritage
- Highland Beach Resort, Hotel Linda
- Kamat Holiday Homes
- Nizmar Resort
- Osborne Holiday Resort
- Paradise Village, Resort Do Tio Carmino
- Resorte Santa Monica
- Santiago Resort
- Santo Antonio Resort
- Sharanam Green Resort
- Silent Retreat, Silla Goa, Somy Resort, Sunkissed Resort
- Ticlo Resorts
- Villa Goesa Beach Resort, 10 CALANGUTE Boutique Hotel, Presa Di Goa